Tuesday, July 28, 2026

When Desperation Becomes Devotion


This morning, while getting ready for work, I listened to the book of Psalms. From Psalm 1 through Psalm 37, I found myself listening more carefully than usual—not just to David's words, but to his heart.
One moment he was praising God.
The next moment he was crying out, "Lord, do not forsake me."
Then he was asking for forgiveness.
Then he was declaring God's faithfulness.
Then he was pleading for justice.
It struck me that God preserved every one of those prayers. He didn't only preserve David's victories; He preserved his fears, his doubts, his questions, his anguish, and even his moments of desperation.
That encouraged me.
For so many years I believed that faith meant always being strong. But the Psalms teach something different. Faith is not pretending that everything is fine. Faith is bringing everything to God, knowing that He can handle every emotion we place before Him.
As I continued listening, my thoughts moved to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.
Jesus Himself prayed,
"Father, if You are willing, take this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done."
Those words have stayed with me.
How many times have I prayed,
"Lord, take this burden away."
"Lord, remove this struggle."
"Lord, change this situation."
Those prayers are not wrong. God invites us to bring our burdens to Him.
But somewhere between David's cries and Jesus' surrender, I realised something.
There is another sentence that changes everything.
"Not my will, but Yours be done."
That sentence is not one of defeat.
It is one of trust.
It is the prayer of someone who has come to believe that even when God does not immediately remove the burden, He will never remove His presence.
As I reflected on my own journey, I realised that I have prayed many desperate prayers over the years.
Prayers about finances.
Prayers about my marriage.
Prayers about friendships.
Prayers about rejection.
Prayers about work.
Prayers about purpose.
Looking back now, I can honestly say that many of those prayers were answered—but not always in the way I expected.
Sometimes God changed my circumstances.
Sometimes He changed me.
Looking back, I am grateful for both.
Today I no longer wake up with the same desperation I once carried. Life still has challenges. There are still moments of uncertainty, moments when my heart becomes concerned, moments when I have questions that only God can answer.
But something inside me has changed.
My first response is no longer panic.
It is worship.
That does not mean I have become stronger than everyone else.
It simply means that I have discovered the faithfulness of God one day at a time.
One answered prayer at a time.
One ordinary day of obedience at a time.
There is something else I never want to forget.
When God brings us out of despair, we can become so comfortable in His blessings that we forget the valley where we first learned to trust Him.
I do not ever want to forget those moments.
Not because I want to relive them.
Not because I want to keep telling stories about my pain.
But because I never want to lose my gratitude.
The valleys taught me to pray.
The waiting taught me patience.
The disappointments taught me surrender.
The silence taught me to listen.
Those seasons were never wasted.
But I also refuse to build my life around my past struggles.
God did not rescue me so that I could spend the rest of my life staring back at the pit.
He rescued me so that I could keep walking forward.
I can remember the valley without living there.
I can honour the lessons without carrying the weight.
I can tell the story without reopening the wound.
That, to me, is maturity.
Perhaps this is what spiritual growth really looks like.
Not a life without tears.
Not a life without questions.
But a heart that has learned where to take those tears and questions.
Today my prayer is simple.
Lord, may I never forget the days when I cried out to You in desperation. Those moments taught me that You are faithful. But also help me never to become so attached to yesterday's pain that I fail to see today's grace. Let me remember Your faithfulness more than I remember my fear. Let me carry gratitude instead of grief. And above all, let my life become a quiet testimony that You have always been enough.

"Never forget the valley that introduced you to God's faithfulness, but never make the valley your permanent address. God walks us through valleys—not so we can live there, but so we can discover that He never left our side."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hurry Feels Heavy

There was a time when I believed that if I worked harder, posted more, spoke louder, and rushed every opportunity, success would...